Saturday, February 21, 2015

This poem is about the images of Alzheimer - it is a mistake to think that someone who is ill with Alzheimer has forgotten how to love. Alzheimer is an illness - a thief.
Those who love us, need us. Go to them.

 Love Me-mory

I am water in a well
Laying deep
I look at the sun

Like a plucked cuckoo
In a strange nest
I don't fit or belong

My feathers are gone
Who put me here
Where I have no tongue

I am a sideboard
Standing by the wall
Stiff and wooden

Yet no-one knows
What is hidden
Look at me

I am a crust
Dried on the outside
Left in a box

Rub me into crumbs
Feed me to the birds
Birds can fly

I am a lost key
That fits no door
Locks have changed

I walk in muddled dreams
In corridors
That never meet

The doors of my life
Are closing
Imprisoned in my skin

There deep within
I do love you
I will always love you

Love
Is not in my melting
It is in my heart.


© Wendy Smit-Taylor 2015

2 comments:

  1. A moving poem on a tough subject with some haunting images. I didn't know you were blogging, Wendy, I've only just found this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear Vivien,

    my mother-in-law suffered from Alzheimer and was in a care home for the last 4 years of her life. we spent a lot of time with her and the other patients. this poem expresses some of the things that impressed themselves into me. very powerful and often not understood. lack of communication does not mean that there is no love. I saw lots of it there.

    thank you for finding me. yes, I am blogging - going to add a lot more in the coming times, so please check out my blogs every so often and enjoy.

    I can also to be found at:
    http://writershousepembrokeshire.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://wendys-taylormade.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://pembrokeshirewildlife.blogspot.co.uk/

    please add your own blog address if you have one

    ReplyDelete